From the Nurse:
Most people know that eating fruits and vegetables is important for good health, but most of us still aren’t getting enough. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. And because they are low in calories, they are great foods to fill up on.
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits can help you:
· Lower your risk for heart disease and some types of cancer
· Maintain or reach a healthy weight
· Keep your body strong and active
Here are some ideas to help you and your family fit more fruits and vegetables into your day:
· Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
· Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for quick, healthy snacks.
· Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
· Make your meals more colorful – eating fruits and vegetables of many different colors gives your body a wide range of valuable nutrients.
· Don’t focus on just fresh produce. Frozen, canned and dried fruits and vegetables can also provide nutrition you need, and often cost less.
Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!
For more information, visit fruitsandveggiesmorematters.com
- Your school nurses